Friday, November 16, 2018

Dripping Faucet or a Crown

This is such a two-way street. It can't be just one way. One of my favorite things to hear from my husband is "I can't wait to get home to you because you make everything better." To know that I provide a safe place for him to come home to and that he wants to come home to me motivates me to be the wife that I'm called to be. It doesn't mean that I'm perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it means that I strive to love him and make him my priority. 

There's nothing like knowing that in a world full of women, women who may be prettier than you or more personable than you or more fun than you...he chooses you. It's you that he wants. That by loving him and putting him first I provide a safe place for him to land at the end of the day. And I love knowing that. Even more I love when he'll text me and say "I'm so eager to get home to you. I can't wait to spend the evening together." To know that at the end of the day his happiness is found spending time with me whether that's just sitting in front of the TV watching a movie or folding laundry together makes me a happy wife. 

So that leaves the question of how do we become wives that our husbands look forward to coming home to? 

I remember when I was much younger I was reading through Proverbs and ran across the verse talking about the wife being like a dripping faucet (Proverbs 27:15). I knew I didn't want to be that wife. Instead I wanted to be the wife that Proverbs 12:24 describes...an excellent wife is the crown of her husband. That was my goal because I knew I didn't want to be the wife who did my own thing and didn't include my husband. I knew I didn't want to be the wife who nagged him for not picking his underwear up off the floor or leaving his keys on the kitchen table. I knew that there were more important things to focus on as we lived life together. 

Through my years of being married...that verse has played quite frequently in my head. I don't want my husband to look at me and be annoyed and afraid that every time I open my mouth I'm going to fuss at him for something he did or fuss because of something he didn't do. Or add something else to his list of chores or projects. Instead, I knew I wanted to be a teammate with my spouse. I wanted to approach marriage from the perspective that I'm just as flawed as he is and that two heads are better than one. So if we put all of our energy into working together, and making decisions together, and living life together then he would see me as something more than the nagging wife.

Up to this point I think it's worked pretty well. It doesn't mean we don't have hard days. It doesn't mean we don't have disagreements. But at the end of the day it does mean that we want to come home to each other. At the end of the day I eagerly await for him to walk through the front door. At the end of the day I can't get over that I get to spend my life with somebody that I can't get enough of.

So let's stop being that dripping faucet and instead be his crown!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment