Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Beautiful Struggles

Photo credit to my amazing sixteen year old
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose. 
Romans 8:28

There are just moments in life when, in the middle of what feels like chaos, you can see God’s hand at work.  That’s where I am right now.  This family has been under attack from every which direction over the past year and it has made life crazy.  The moment we get a glimpse of sunlight, another storm hits and we’re running for cover once again. 

I’m often overwhelmed by God’s goodness, in a good way, when we’re dealing with storms.  Especially when it comes to my kids.  My oldest son and daughter have been dealing with a lot lately.  Going through some really tough stuff and as a mom watching, it makes me want to fight someone ;-)  However, I’ve been through enough of my own hard stuff to know that this is an amazing opportunity to walk through it with them but without taking those steps for them.  To speak truth when needed and attempt to live out what is right in front of them without getting in the way. 

Several years ago, I walked through my own personal storm and my kids were forced to walk with me.  They were placed in the middle of a battle which could have destroyed them, however, God has used that time to prepare them for such a time as this.  I’m not saying they are having an easy time dealing with the hurt right now, but it makes the hurt a little more bearable when you know God is there and He is working through the situation.

Lately, I have had the incredible privilege of sitting with my eighteen year old and having some truly amazing conversations. Throughout his storms, he has turned to me, confided in me, listened to me and trusted me.  He knows that no matter what he is dealing with, I am here, I will listen and will walk with him.  

One of the greatest moments through these storms has been sharing scripture with my kiddos.  Especially two of my favorites, Romans 12:17 (Do not repay evil with evil but live in a way which honors God) and Exodus 14:14 (Be still and allow God to fight for you).  The ability to speak scripture into their life is amazing!  But to be able to speak some of my favorite passages while sharing the way in which those passages got me through my own tough stuff….too good for words.

They are having to learn to “turn the other cheek” and stay silent when they just want to scream the truth of a situation.  They are having to learn that God isn’t doing these things but instead, broken people. They are having to learn that there are consequences to the bad choices we make and often times, the enemy will use those choices to try and destroy us through other people.  BUT they are learning that God’s grace and love is so much greater than anything they have said or done and because of His love and grace, they are children of a King and are forgiven and redeemed!!

As hard as my own stuff was I wouldn’t trade a moment of it for the world.  It has given me ability to parent my kids the way they need in times of heartache and trouble.  I love being able to look back on my past and see the way God used it to prepare and shape me.  He used a lot of what I went through to help me walk the hard road of parenting teens.  I’m not saying I have all the answers but I have the most important, God’s word.  And with those words, it has made navigating this road a bit easier.  Even through the storms….


No comments:

Post a Comment