Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Bad words

I have teenagers.  Three to be exact.  A common question asked is “who decided curse words to be curse words?”  I think it is a great question and one worth discussing.  I love the way my kids question things.  It allows me the opportunity as a mom to share truth with them in many ways and help them apply it to everyday life. So when the question of profanity came my way, I turned to Google. I've searched the question before and never found anything profound as an answer. This time was no exception and led me to my Bible to look for an explanation.  


As I flipped through Ephesians I found a verse. Ephesians 4:29 plainly reads we are not to use foul or abusive language. Simply put and well stated but did still not answer the initial question. However looking at the verse we began to think about what words might be foul and abusive language? It became pretty easy to decide. How about anything that demeans another human being, takes the Lord’s name in vain or is being used to attack another person. At the end of the day using words or phrases which lack encouragement or love are not helpful. It doesn’t matter who decided what is a bad word, but it does matter that scripture is very clear.  It says we are to speak what is good and helpful and to encourage.  

As followers of Jesus, we are called to be different.  Once we decided to follow Jesus, it meant we chose to act like Jesus, speak like Jesus and live like Jesus. We are not just to act a certain way but speak in a way that brings light to a dark world.  


Ask God to point out those words used which are not good or helpful.  Allow Him to make your words ones that are full of goodness to those in need of encouragement.  Be a light!.



Don’t use foul or abusive language.  Let everything that you say be good and helpful so that your words will be encouragement to those who hear them.  



Ephesians 4:29

No comments:

Post a Comment