Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Being good.

The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.
Exodus 14:14

God fights for me.  When I am still, He fights.  When I am quiet, He fights.  When I am calm, God continues to fight on my behalf.  I do not have to do anything.  He will do it all if I just choose to follow Him in simple obedience.

Each time that there is suffering from some form of pain, injustice or offense, I have to remember that people are not my enemy.  Satan is my enemy.  Satan’s mission is to steal, kill and destroy.  He works hard to accomplish his agenda.  However being a child of an awesome God, I am given an incredible secret weapon.  It is a weapon that is certain to defeat the enemy and most assuredly destroy his agenda.

Back to the verse Romans 12:21 “Do not let yourself be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”  Hidden in that verse is the weapon.  It is a weapon the enemy absolutely hates because he knows that he CANNOT stand up against it.  It is only a secret weapon because most Christians miss its simplicity.  As a Christian, I am given the God-given ability to be good to people who offend and hurt me.  My flesh may scream out for revenge but God tells me to press through the hurt by repaying all evil with good.  Good overcomes all evil.  Just like the saying, “kill ‘em with kindness.”  It is that simple.

Don’t get me wrong though, being good can be hard when I am on emotional overload but God does not ask me to do anything without giving me what I need to accomplish it.  He has given me the power of the Holy Spirit who lives within me. He has given me the power to remain rational and calm.  He is there to help me “to be good.”  It is by God’s grace and mercy that I can cry out to Him for help no matter how hurt I am because of the actions and words of others.  Instead of lashing out at them, He gives me the strength to offer a simple kind word or even pray for them.  I CAN overcome evil with good.  I can extend kindness and grace by choosing to obey His word because of the grace He bestowed upon me through the work of His Son on the cross.  Choosing to follow His truth in obedience is surely an act of my will.  I have to make the conscience choice to be kind and “do good” but eventually I find that the right feelings follow as God works it all out in my heart.

God’s truth has brought me so much freedom.  It has released me from the evil in the world and the hold it can have on my life.  Knowing that God is on my side and that He fights for me allows me to let go and “be good” because HE equips me with all I need to stand against the enemy.  Because of this freedom, I can make my own choices as to how I will react to a situation instead of being a prisoner to the bitterness and negative emotions that can consume me and rob me of God’s blessings in my life.  If I want a life that is fruitful for Christ then I must live a faithful life that reflects God’s word to be true.  Good DOES overcome evil!


No comments:

Post a Comment