Monday, February 4, 2013

The good, the bad and the harvest of blessing...



Feelings.  We women have a plethora of feelings.  Our feelings can drive us in all sorts of crazy directions.  Sometimes when we are dealing with hurt, it is incredibly hard to rein those feelings in and look for truth at the heart of a situation.
 
Every second of every day, evil is at work.  Not a minute passes by that evil is not attempting to trip us up or get us tangled in the mess that feelings can bring.  When we are hurting, human nature screams for revenge.  We want payback.  We want to see someone get what is coming to them.  Those feelings can drive us to do evil things.  That is where truth steps in and we let go of feelings.

Romans 12:21 says that we are “not to be overcome by evil but to overcome evil with good.”  Not particularly the thing in which we want to do when we are hurting.  It is much easier to lash out.  It feels good to get those feelings out.  In that moment anyway.  Later when conviction sets in, we realize what we have said or done to hurt another.  Suddenly we are feeling worse.  Suddenly our troubles have grown.  We have created quite the mess.

There is a reason why we are told to overcome evil with good.  There is a reason why we are told in Ephesians to be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. (4:32)  When we walk a life professing to follow Christ, we are to promote peace, kindness, love and forgiveness.  When someone has wronged us, we are truly to turn the other cheek.  We are to follow the example Christ set for us.  If we want forgiveness from God then we must offer forgiveness to others. Personally, it frustrates me.  It is hard when my family is constantly being hurt. Personally, I am tired of being bullied.  I am tired of people who use their power to abuse others.  However, I follow an awesome God.  He sent His Son to give up His life for me and so I choose to be a reflection of Christ.  I choose to forgive.  Because of these choices, I am reaping the benefits of following Him in obedience.

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.

Galatians 6:9-10

By choosing to do good, God blesses.  I have never known that to be truer than I do right now.  Not too long ago, yet again, evil tried to harm my family.  In someone’s attempt to cause dissension and hurt through manipulation and drama, I witnessed God do something great.  What someone meant for bad, God turned it around and used it for good.  My family became closer.  My children grew closer to their step-dad.  An event transpired that brought truth to light for us all and a great revelation occurred. 

Over a year ago, I received an email from a woman who reminded me that true character reveals itself in time.  For a year, I have patiently waited for my children to discover truth.  It is happening. It is truly a remarkable thing when you can experience God working.  To clearly see good overcome something that was meant to hurt and destroy is exciting. 

Sometimes we cannot stop the evil.  Sometimes the story, the good and bad parts have to play out.  No matter how ugly it can get I am learning that it is best to sit back and give God the control.  Allowing the story to unfold the way in which He has it written allows the good to radiate through leaving you to recognize that it is clearly Him doing the great and good work in your life.  I am so thankful for the good and the bad.  It is hard to sit back and be hurt but letting go of the feelings and focusing on what I know to be true allows God the room He needs to do great things in my story.

Today as I write this out and think through the events that have transpired,  I am so incredibly thankful for my husband. He sets an example for my children.  My husband is not perfect and he has made bad choices in his life.  However, I know the kind of man that he is…he does not blame others for his mistakes.  He takes ownership and seeks forgiveness.  He stays silent when others would try to cause him harm.  He trusts God to handle the issues and turns the other cheek.  He does not speak ill of others.  Especially in front of my children.  He is amazing that way and my children recognize that in him.  It is evident what a person who walks with Christ should look like and they are able to compare others accordingly in order to seek out truth.  What someone did in order to cause harm in my family, God turned it around and used it as a time to draw my family closer to together.  God is faithful in ALL things.  He is definitely my Protector.  He promises to protect His children and when we allow Him that position, He is faithful to fulfill His promises.  I am learning that you do not mess with His kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment